Who doesn’t love puppies? Most need little convincing when bringing one into the family. However, the same can’t be said for senior dogs. In a heartbreaking survey, Pet Finder reveals that senior pets have the hardest time finding a “forever home.” On average they tend to wait four times longer to be adopted than other their younger counterparts.
In reality senior dogs can make for a much better companions, here are 9 reasons that will make you fall in love with them.
1. Senior dogs are fully grown. There is no guessing or worrying how big they will be, in a nut shell, what you see is what you get.
2. They are often house trained. Which means no “surprises” or stained carpets.
3. No teething! Older dogs have already experienced that phase of life and won’t have the urge to chew, gnaw or tear up everything they see.
4. Longer attention span. Many puppies have very short attention spans, but senior dogs are quite the opposite.
5. Patient and understanding. Senior dogs have a lot more discipline than puppies and not to mention are much calmer.
6. A goodnight sleep. Ask anyone who has had a puppy and they’ll tell you how little sleep they get. With an older dog, this isn’t an issue. In fact, you’ll probably sleep much more soundly.
7. Routine is appreciated. Senior dogs love routine, much like we do. Set feeding time, bathroom breaks and playtime are literally a walk in the park.
8. Not so demanding. Puppies require a great deal of your attention and often will do whatever it takes to get it. Senior dogs love kisses and hugs, but won’t drive you crazy begging for it. They also don’t require a constant watchful eye.
9. Instant Love. Many senior dogs have been through a variety of hardships (losing their owner, divorce, abandonment, etc) and are looking for someone special to bond with. Once they do, they’re in it for the long haul and are committed to you for life.
What are some other reasons that you feel people should adopt senior dogs? Comment below!